As President Obama and Congress work on a deficit-reduction plan that would decrease federal spending, much of the media’s attention has been directed toward the serious threat facing Pell Grant funding. The nation’s support for protecting student aid from budget cuts is reflected by the pro-Pell editorials and opinion pieces that have appeared in just the last few days. We encourage you to share them with others, and use them in your advocacy efforts!
Here are links to the opinion pieces that have run recently.
- Keep your hands off Pell Grants, Congress, Denver Post, July 20, 2011
- Stop the blame game, Miami Herald, July 20, 2011
- Opinion: Cuts to Pell Grants will only worsen US debt, USA Today, July 19, 2011
- Protect Pell Grants: Protect the Middle Class, NEA Today, July 19, 2011
- Don’t gut Pell Grants, Washington Post, July 16, 2011
If you see other pro-student aid opinion pieces, please post links to them in the comments section below!
Cuts in Pell Grants would have detrimental affects on the 9 million college students who currently receive them. For many of these students, the grant is the deciding factor of whether they can pursue a higher education.