Congress needs to hear why student aid is important to you, your community and America’s future.
“I was raised by a single mother, and both my brother and I are in college. Last year I had federal work study but they cut it this year. That’s made it a lot more difficult for my family to pay for college, but we’re managing somehow.”
-Miya, University of Maryland, College Park
What’s the latest on student aid?
President Trump’s budget proposes $6 billion in cuts to the federal student aid programs. Congress will take the next steps in creating a budget for 2017-18. With your help, we can prevent these cuts from balancing the budget on the backs of students. Ask Congress to oppose:
- Elimination of Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG), which give up to $4,000 in additional grant aid to Pell Grant students;
- Significant cuts to Federal Work Study, which helps 675,000 students work their way through college each year;
- $95 million cut to TRIO programs, reducing the availability of student support services to help at-risk students stay in and complete college;
- $103 million cut to GEAR UP programs, reducing the reach of early awareness programs so that young people are ready for college; and
- $4 billion cut to Pell Grant program funding to pay for other things in the budget.
Congress can reject President Trump’s budget cuts and write a budget that instead invests in student aid. Make your voice heard against cuts to student aid by following @StuAidAlliance to learn how you can help to #SaveStudentAid and stop the #RaidOnAid.
About Student Aid Alliance
We are a coalition of 85 higher education organizations united in our support for federal student aid. The Student Aid Alliance is thrilled to bring you the Save Student Aid campaign to raise awareness about the importance of federal student aid for America’s future.